Brandaris, the large lighthouse of Terschelling, is the most famous meeting place on this Dutch island,
which should not be missed during a visit. Brandaris is one of the oldest working lighthouses in the Netherlands and is named after the Sint Brandarius church. This church was built in 1323 and the tower of the church then served as a beacon for the ships that were on their way to Amsterdam via the Zuiderzee. Because the island of Terschelling slowly moved, this church tower eventually collapsed into the sea, and it was replaced by the current lighthouse in 1592. In 1837 this lighthouse was renovated to be the first Dutch lighthouse to be able to carry a rotating Fresnel lens. Which was replaced in 1920 by an electric lamp.